The Richard H. Driehaus Museum
The historic Nickerson Mansion on Chicago’s north side was saved from destruction 100 years ago when it was purchased by Chicago citizens in 1919. Nearly 85 years later, Richard H. Driehaus obtained the mansion and today it is known as the Richard H. Driehaus Museum. With meticulous care and expert craftsmanship, Bulley & Andrews provided general contracting services for the restoration and renovation of the historic home, transforming it into a publicly accessible non-profit museum.
The project involved a comprehensive interior and exterior restoration to convert the mansion to a private museum and art gallery. The museum is connected to the Murphy Auditorium which has been renovated for use as a public lecture and events hall.
Renovation of both buildings included all new mechanical systems, new electrical distribution, a new serving kitchen, a new service elevator, fire and life safety upgrades, and new coat check and bathroom facilities for the auditorium. New building systems have been carefully planned and designed to provide discreet installations with minimal impact on the historic materials.
You can learn more about the extensive restoration project by visiting the Driehaus Museum’s website.