Bulley & Andrews served as General Contractor for the historical interior and exterior restoration of the Ragdale House in Lake Forest, Illinois. Designed by Howard Van Doren Shaw and built in 1897, Ragdale House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The extensive restoration project included repair and replacement of exterior stucco, concrete, paving, windows and roofing repairs. Interior work included MEP upgrades, additional guest/resident bathrooms and structural repairs.
Originally a summer retreat, the Ragdale House now serves as a retreat setting for writers and artists. Over 200 artists are in residence each year, in disciplines ranging from writing and painting to music composition and dance. Ragdale’s philosophy is that time and space are necessary to creating important new work. Residences can last anywhere from two to six weeks, during which artists can focus solely on their work.
“Operation Renovation”, the initiative responsible for the valuable restoration, is an innovative public/private partnership between the City of Lake Forest and the Ragdale Foundation. Ragdale, under long-term agreement with the city, leases the property and raised $3 million in private funds to restore one of Lake Forest’s most notable historic buildings during the city’s 150th anniversary year.