Aspire Properties: SAIC Buildout
Formerly Marshall Field & Co. Men’s Store annex built in 1914, the property located at 25 & 33 E. Washington features original vintage charm coupled with modern amenities. Serving as construction manager, Bulley & Andrews restored the building’s 6,358 sq. ft., first floor lobby back to its original grandeur. The scope of work included marble flooring, polished bronze elevators, ornate decorative ceiling, wall paneling and custom lighting, relocated ductwork and concrete structural infills.
B&A also built out exhibit space for The School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC), one of the building’s principal tenants. This involves 60,000 sq. ft. on three floors including the ground level known as L1 and three basement levels: LL1, LL2, & LL3. The work included:
- Removing the existing MEP to accommodate the new MEP design; this required four months of BIM coordination
- Installation of new partitions/finishes to create new galleries and graduate student studios
- Installation of new restrooms on each level
- Installation of kitchenettes on each of level
- Installation of a new spray booth on LL3
- Extending the fire alarm system
The project is a winner of a 2021 AIA Chicago Design Excellence Award.