The Ragdale House, located in Lake Forest, Illinois, recently re-opened after a significant year-long historical interior and exterior restoration. Bulley & Andrews served as General Contractor for the project,returning the historic structure to its original grandeur.
Designed by Howard Van Doren Shaw and built in 1897, the Ragdale House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Built as a summer retreat, the Ragdale House was turned into a non-profit retreat for writers and artists in 1976. With the re-opening of this inspirational space, the artist’s residency program can continue to welcome nearly 200 artists a year. Past residents include Audrey Niffenegger, author of ‘The Time Traveler’s Wife,’ and Alice Sebold, author of ‘The Lovely Bones.’
The City of Lake Forest and the Ragdale Foundation partnered to support the $3.2 million initiative also known as “Operation Renovation.” The restoration included repair and replacement of exterior stucco, concrete, paving, windows and roofing repairs as well as, interior repairs such as MEP upgrades, structural repairs and additional guest/resident bathrooms.
Team members who contributed to the project’s successful completion include Johnson Lasky Architects, who specialize in historic preservation, and the landscape design firm Rosborough Partners.