Preconstruction/Estimator Project Manager | Chicago, IL
The Preconstruction Manager/Estimator will lead and assist the bidding of construction projects by preparing conceptual and hard dollar estimates, proposals for new projects, as well as solicit subcontractor bids. This position will review and verify accuracy and completeness of all project documents received and also performs, quantity take-offs, constructability review, and value engineering analysis for all projects received. Must be comfortable in client facing situations and prepared to work in a business development capacity. Strong computer skills and able to demonstrate a high level of expertise with varying software packages. Will work closely with all areas of the business.
- Assist with final assembly of estimate for presentation to owner.
- Subcontractor solicitation during bidding process.
- Review of the project construction schedule and assist in preparation of the General Conditions.
- Review of the construction documents for value engineering.
- Preparation and pricing of value engineering items
- Supervise Estimator and also assists in the training of estimators and/or project engineers on estimating process.
- Obtain labor burden and applicable insurance rates
- Maintain master subcontractor/vendor lists by trade. Solicit additional capable subcontractors.
- Provide technical assistance with project managers in negotiating contracts, change orders, etc. as required. Assure smooth handoff of estimate, bidding information, drawings, specifications, etc. to project management
- Ensures proper internal controls and maintenance/development of the organization’s historical estimating records for all entities
- Maintain and develop historical data for unit prices.
- Performing quantity take-offs to develop in-house budgets to review against bids from subcontractors.
- Developing scopes of work for each trade to bid projects.
- Calling subcontractors to review scopes and verify if bidding.
- Develop General Conditions for review with Senior Management and Project Management
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Architecture or a related degree
- Minimum of 5 years of estimating experience within a construction organization
- Experience managing people, including hiring, evaluation and coaching is highly preferred.
- Conceptual ability to work with minimum information
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Technical-demonstrates the ability to perform mathematical calculations and possesses proficient data entry skills.
- Strong computer skills to include Microsoft Office, Excel, estimating database software, and Onscreen takeoff.
- Full understanding of general contracting bidding requirements.
- Experience in attending Pre-Construction Meetings.
- Excellent decision making/problem solving skills.